Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Jun 20 21:02:47 UTC 2022

Carsten,

The discussion is not getting far afield: it’s on point. And it’s a hugely germane topic for network operators.

Regarding your claim “You consented to receiving packets when connecting to the Internet“, I counter with what is in virtually every ISP’sAUP for customers: Unauthorized port scanning is expressly prohibited.

In fact, when I Google that precise phrase along with “Acceptable Use Policy” I get thousands of hits.

I strongly suspect that this is probably also a violation of the U.S. Computer Abuse and Fraud Act, which criminalizes anyone who “Intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains … information from any protected computer.” A great many VA plug-ins attempt to — and often do — extract information they’re not authorized to.

-mel