irrd or ...?

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Mon Jun 20 09:36:45 UTC 2022

I've seen recently a trend where code is optimized for run time and memory
consumption is a distant second consideration.  I think this is a
side-effect of the growth of big data,  where you really do have to worry
about your run time.  Unfortunately this seems to have creeped into a lot
of other types of coding where it doesn't make a much sense.

For example, it's not uncommon to see data stored in hash tables which
admittedly are fast to retrieve if you use the right hash table key.    But
since most programmers don't think through the overhead of the key portion
of the table, you'll often see many hash tables each containing the exact
same set of keys, each holding one data item (say a distance in a routing
table).   A more memory efficient method is to store a structure in the
hash table containing all the values.  That way they only pay the key "tax"
once.

I could vent about all sort of other sins like this.