Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

Mark Seiden mis at seiden.com
Sun Jun 19 18:17:25 UTC 2022

greetings.

it should be mentioned that shadowserver also notifies those who register as the owners of that address space.
it’s very useful.  (it would be more useful if they calculated diffs and notified about changes/additions.)

my thinking about this sort of thing, in general, is:

- it depends on who’s doing it and why, and what they do with the information
(so what keeps you from doing it for the benefit of your less clueful downstream customers?)

- absolutely nothing prevents bad guys from doing it, so discouraging it fits in the category of
“politeness rules only observed by nice people”.

- it’s polite enough for me for the good guys to identify themselves so you (the target) can worry
less when you notice the activity.

(btw, this reasoning applies also about crawls of content from the wayback machine.)