Serious Juniper Hardware EoL Announcements

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Jun 15 03:54:33 UTC 2022

Just to put a little more flesh on that bone (having spent about a
decade going to ICANN conferences):

Although organized under ICANN, address allocation would generally be
the role of IANA which would assign address blocks to RIRs for
distribution.

It's a useful distinction because IANA and the RIRs act fairly
independently from the umbrella ICANN org unless there's some very
specific reason for, e.g., the ICANN board to interfere like some
notion that the allocation of these addresses would (literally)
threaten the stability and security of the internet, or similar.

Offhand (and following comments by people of competent jurisdiction) I
can't see why IANA or the RIRs would resist this idea in
principle. It's just more stock in trade for them, particularly the
RIRs.

Other than they (IANA, RIRs) wouldn't do this unless the IETF issued a
formal redeclaration of the use of these addresses.

Anyhow, that's roughly how the governance works in practice and has
for over 20 years.

So, I think the first major move would have to be the IETF issuing one
or more RFCs redefining the use of these addresses which would then
put them into the jurisdiction of IANA who could then issue them
(probably piecewise) to the RIRs.

--
        -Barry Shein