Serious Juniper Hardware EoL Announcements

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jun 14 17:47:12 UTC 2022

> On Jun 14, 2022, at 12:42 PM, Shawn L via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>
> With the current shortages and lead times, I almost feel like I did back in the beginning of my career ---
>
> Then it was "what can we do with what we can afford" now it's more like  "What can we do with what we have (or can actually get)"?

I’m definitely feeling a bit more of this - we are seeing quite a bit of mismatch as well in hardware where higher speeds are coming but without a firm consensus around optics.  At least for the 400G space it seems to be largely sorted, as DR, FR and LR are all interchangeable it’s largely that receiver sensitivity which comes into scope, and the LR8 being there, but unlikely to see a lot of volume over time.

Reminds me a lot of the DS3 vs OC3 vs gigE days of “what speed, how many”, but at least we have bundling figured out at this point.

- Jared