Serious Juniper Hardware EoL Announcements

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jun 14 15:46:06 UTC 2022

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 at 16:44, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> This chip shortage issue is, I think, being used as a crutch to take the p*ss.

These EOLd are HMC devices, Micron EOLd HMC back in 2018, no one else made them.

MX304 is a very different device than MX80, MX104, MX204. Previously
these were single chip very BOM optimised devices. MX304 has YT on
each card, which also means half of the YT capacity is spent on
fabric. Whereas MX80, MX104 connect ports on fabric and wan side,
getting 200% bps compared to fabric model.
Of course BOM isn't a meaningful contributor to what customers generally pay.

--
  ++ytti