Serious Juniper Hardware EoL Announcements

tim at pelican.org tim at pelican.org
Tue Jun 14 15:07:39 UTC 2022

> The MX204 is pure shocker! Unless the MX304 will come with a
> license-based approach to run at MX204 pricing, that is Juniper shooting
> themselves in the foot.

Unless I'm missing a trick, the MX304 doesn't have an answer to installing DWDM, bidi, or other fancy optics in the SPF+ ports on the MX204.  QSFP+ breakout to 4 x 10G is supported, but only 4 x vanilla 1310 optics - you'll need an external OEO solution if you want fancy 10G options.

It otherwise seems a nice box on paper, although substantially more expensive than the MX204.

Cheers,
Tim.