Upstream bandwidth usage

Dave Bell me at geordish.org
Fri Jun 10 08:09:03 UTC 2022

We are rolling out XGS-PON everywhere which is 10G symmetric. Just because
the PON runs at 10G, doesn't mean you need to provision all of your
customers at 10G.

We have a range of residential packages from 150Mbps up to 1Gbps symmetric.
The ONT is the same in all situations. There is no SFP cost, due to it
being a copper port. If we were to offer residential packages beyond 1G, a
CPE swap would be required, but there is little demand for that... yet...

The future is bright for PON with NG-PON2, and 50G PON on their way.

Regards,
Dave