Aftermarket switches that were manufactured in any sort of quantity?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Jun 10 04:14:20 UTC 2022

On 6/9/22 18:41, Drew Weaver wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We had been purchasing some used 48 port 10000BaseT switches /w 6x
> QSFP28 ports for around $3000 until about 2021.
>
> In 2021 the aftermarket pricing went from $3,000 each to $15,000 each.
>
> Now these particular switches are selling for $20,000 each (and people
> are still buying them[?]…)
>
> Obviously I cannot pay $20k for a used switch so I am trying to find
> alternatives that perhaps aren’t as rare.
>
> I’m trying to determine whether this pricing is just based on the
> model I am trying to buy or if it is basically every switch from every
> MFG.
>
> Just trying to see if anyone else has had any luck getting any
> hardware at around a fair price lately?
>
> I’m aware of the macro-economic environment, inflation, chip
> shortages, etc.. Just looking for another option.

We are seeing this issue cropping up across the board, both by vendors
increasing mark-ups due to the chip shortages, as well as the open
market sellers increasing their own prices on pre-owned hardware due to
demand.

My advice - take the box while you can, because the next time you ask,
it will be triple the price.

The biggest benefit from buying on the open market, right now, is
significantly reduced lead times, if that is something that is important
to you and your business.

Mark.