Upstream bandwidth usage

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Jun 10 04:09:50 UTC 2022

On 6/9/22 22:26, Mel Beckman wrote:

> With 430 GB versus 32 GV average down versus up usage today, according
> to your article, this is still not a case for symmetrical consumer
> bandwidth. Yes, the upstream usage increased slightly more than the
> downstream usage. But the ratio was still so big that it would take
> decades for them to join. I doubt they ever will. Consumers just don’t
> have that much days up to push yet, and probably never will.

I don't think download rate will ever equal upload rate, never mind get
close. But certainly, it has been growing for the past 15 or so years,
and will continue to rise as the Internet continues to become a place of
community than it originally has been.

> Also, a lot of that Usage can be explained by video conferencing
> during Covid, which has dropped off significantly already.

That certainly has contributed, but I expect that there are more people
uploading content for day-to-day life than for work.

Mark.