Upstream bandwidth usage

Brandon Jackson bjackson at napshome.net
Fri Jun 10 01:31:54 UTC 2022

>> Why would they mandate such a thing? That seems like purely an operator decision.

It wasn't an arbitrary decision. The downstream has a single "talker",
the OLT, so it can use 100% of the "airtime" for itself to talk to
anyone on the port.

The upstream on the other hand has 1-32 or even more talkers that all
have to be syncrozied to talk at specific times even including guard
bands to account for slight differences is time keeping, not only
that, not every ONT is at the same fiber distance so an ONT that is
closer must wait for a signal from an ONT that is farther to "pass"
it.

All of this creates some inefficiencies in the upstream. Now, it has
gotten better with better technology of course but GPON is already
12-19ish years old.

Brandon Jackson
bjackson at napshome.net