Aftermarket switches that were manufactured in any sort of quantity?

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:59:40 UTC 2022

With all due respect, without sharing NDA protected information about the
specific quantity and model numbers of FS switches I have personal
experience with in a certain network, there are very valid reasons to have
significant concerns about the stability and feature set of the operating
system that ships on them.

There is a *reason* they are abnormally cheap, in exactly the same way that
FS transceivers which are literally the cheapest 1Gbps and 10Gbps OOK
optics you can "Add to cart" and buy online are the cheapest transceivers
you can buy on the market.

But by all means please go ahead and use FS switches for all the layer 2
aggregation needs in your network if you think that they meet your needs.
I'm not stopping you.

If an ISP has a serious enough need for a large quantity of whitebox
switches based on known switch-chip vendors' ASICs I would encourage them
to send staff with experience in the electronics manufacturing industry to
every year's Computex Taipei and speak with the manufacturers in person.