FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Tue Jun 7 16:00:34 UTC 2022

> is gatekeeping what users MIGHT do, and/or deciding based on corner cases helpful to this discussion?
(this isn't meant as a note directly to dorn, just a convenient place to interject)
> Aside from planning based on a formula like Jason Livingood's plan... OR based on build/deploy/upgrade costs into pricing.
most of the rest of the conversation here sounds like gatekeeping:
> "Well, who needs that anyway?"

Good point. IMO, trying to guess at user needs is a bit of a fool's errand, because user needs are so diverse and constantly changing based on the push-pull of their interests and application capabilities. So I don’t think it is even worth trying. Rather, if you are building a network or giving grants to support that, make sure the network technology is flexible/adaptive to be able to grow capacity over time, and then define some required minimum of per-home capacity based on the trailing CAGR formula I proposed. That'll be good enough & adapts based on user demand/behavior and app availability/capability.

JL