FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Tue Jun 7 15:20:12 UTC 2022

A related observation – years ago we gave cable modem bootfiles to a group of customers that had no rate shaping according to their subscription and compared that to existing customers (with an academic researcher). The experiment group did not know of the change, so it could not influence their behavior. We observed that peak demand generally hit a plateau that was well below available capacity & this was driven by existing applications & associated user behavior. There’s obviously a chicken-or-egg problem with capacity & apps to use that capacity, but most ISPs raise end user speeds at least annually and try to stay ahead of increases in peak demand.

JL