FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Jun 7 13:13:52 UTC 2022

Vanity is what most of this is about.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Michael Thomas" <mike at mtcc.com>
To: "Tony Wicks" <tony at wicks.co.nz>, nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 6:13:25 PM
Subject: Re: FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

On 6/6/22 4:08 PM, Tony Wicks wrote:

    * Do you have any stats on what the average usage was before and after the build out? I'd expect it to go up just because but was it dramatic?

Well, Back in the FTTC days of ADSL/VDSL (very little cable) as an ISP I seem to remember the average home connection was about 1.2Mb/s. Now its about 3Mb/s so no, the usage itself does not jump dramatically when the bottlenecks went away. A great example of this is the lowest speed on the GPON network recently jumped from 100/20 to 300/100 across the board and as an ISP we barely noticed anything. Before this the two most popular speeds were the 100/20 and 1000/500 plans, 50% of users would order the 1000/500 plan, most without really knowing why but it was only about $20 different so why not. As an ISP the 1G users only used about 10%-20% more overall capacity than the 100/20 users.

Excellent, so you're printing money catering to people's vanity :)
Mike