FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Mon Jun 6 22:36:13 UTC 2022

>This whole thread is about hypothetical futures, so it's not hard to imagine downloads filling to available capacity.

>Mike

So, a good example of how this capacity is used, In New Zealand we have a pretty broad fibre network covering most of the population. My niece asked me to share my backup copy of her wedding photo’s/video’s the other day. I have a 4Gb/s / 4Gb/s XGSPON connection and she’s got a 1Gb/s / 500Mb/s GPON connection. I simply dropped a copy of the 5.1G directory into a one drive folder and shared it, 10 minutes later (one drive is still limited in how fast you can upload) she had it all and she was very happy. With these speeds its not even a consideration to think about capacity, everything just works.