FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Paul Timmins paul at telcodata.us
Mon Jun 6 19:02:49 UTC 2022

How many times have I seen an installer only download the parts it needs
vs just reinstall the next version right over top of the existing
version? I know stuff like xplane seems to do a comparison of file
signatures and only downloads the changed parts for the updates between
whatever version I have and whatever version is current now, but I'd
imagine a lot of installers these days just take advantage of the fact
the user has a super fast connection and they don't have to care about
shipping the entire new installer just to run an update.

Not to mention whatever amounts of shovelware come with a few megabyte
print driver for a modern printer/scanner/copier. Let's just include a
copy of McAfee endpoint protection in this java update in case the user
opts into selecting that as an option during install? etc.

-Paul