FCC vs FAA Story

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Mon Jun 6 09:43:01 UTC 2022

----- On Jun 5, 2022, at 6:17 PM, John Levine johnl at iecc.com wrote:

Hi,

> Harold Feld did a much better job in November:
>
> https://wetmachine.com/tales-of-the-sausage-factory/what-the-eff-faa-my-insanely-long-field-guide-to-the-faa-fcc-5g-c-band-fight/

Right. From his article:

> But in any event, in the face of rules adopted by about 40 or so other countries,
> the aviation industry needs to show why the U.S. is different.

And if he did *any* real research at all:

https://www.airside.aero/magazine/articles/5g-vs-the-radar-altimeter

> In most of the world, RAs are not affected by 5G, because 5G signals most commonly
> radiate in the 900MHz, 1.8, 2.3, 2.5 and 3.5 GHz bands, leaving a safe 800MHz
> between 5G and RA bands. However, in the USA, demand for high-speed data on
> cellular devices has led to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) auctioning
> additional bands in the C-band range between 3.7-3.98 GHz, only 200 MHz below the RA
> band.

And here are some actual test results: https://www.rtca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/SC-239-5G-Interference-Assessment-Report_274-20-PMC-2073_accepted_changes.pdf

All of that, combined with the real world deaths of people who died as a result
of radar altimeter failures, suggest to me that Harold Feld did not really do a
much better job in November.

Thanks,

Sabri
Licensed pilot since 2010