FCC vs FAA Story

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Jun 5 20:01:06 UTC 2022

John Levine wrote:
> It appears that Crist Clark <cjc+nanog at pumpky.net> said:
>> ProPublica published an investigative report on it last week,
>>
>> https://www.propublica.org/article/fcc-faa-5g-planes-trump-biden
>>
>> Whaddya know. Plenty of blame to go around. Government regulative bodies
>> captured by the industries they’re supposed to regulate. The usual stuff.
> That piece has way too much inside baseball and misses the actual question
> of whether C band radios would break radio altimeters.
>
> Harold Feld did a much better job in November:
>
> https://wetmachine.com/tales-of-the-sausage-factory/what-the-eff-faa-my-insanely-long-field-guide-to-the-faa-fcc-5g-c-band-fight/
Well... a bit better look at the politics & motivations of the folks
involved.  Still doesn't address whether or not C band radios break
radio altimeters.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown