FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 16:11:11 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 9:12 AM Masataka Ohta
<mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Livingood, Jason via NANOG wrote:
>
> > That shows up as increased user demand (usage), which means that the
> > CAGR will rise and get factored into future year projections.
>
> You should recognize that Moore's law has ended.
>
>                                                 Masataka Ohta

For a long time now...

I have had the opinion that we have reached the age of "peak
bandwidth", that nearly nobody's 4 person home needs more than 50Mbit
with good queue management. Certainly increasing upload
speeds dramatically (and making static IP addressing and saner
firewalling feasible) might shift some resources from the cloud, which
I'd like (anyone using tailscale here?), but despite
8k video (which nobody can discern), it's really hard to use up >
50Mbit for more than a second or three with current applications. Even
projected applications like VR, or adding other senses to the internet
like smell or taste, are not bandwidth intensive.

Looking back 10 years, I was saying the same things, only then I felt
it was 25Mbit circa mike belshe's paper. So real bandwidth
requirements only doubling every decade might be a new equation to
think about...

... check in with me again and wipe egg off my face in another decade.

--
FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC