GAO: Federal broadband efforts fragmented and overlapping

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Jun 5 05:00:06 UTC 2022

U.S. Government Accountability Office

Broadband:
National Strategy Needed to Guide Federal Efforts to Reduce Digital Divide
GAO-22-104611
Published: May 31, 2022. Publicly Released: May 31, 2022.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-22-104611

In its efforts to expand broadband access, the federal government has
subsidized investment in rural areas that haven't attracted private
investment. We identified over 100 federal programs—administered by 15
agencies—that could be used to expand access.

However, the number of programs has led to a fragmented, overlapping
patchwork of funding. We recommended synchronizing federal efforts with a
national broadband strategy, and more.
[...]

Recommendations

GAO is making three recommendations, including (1) that NTIA identify key
statutory limitations to program alignment and develop legislative
proposals as appropriate, and (2) that the Executive Office of the
President develop and implement a national broadband strategy. NTIA agreed
with our recommendations. The Executive Office of the President did not
take a position on our recommendation.