FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 19:00:34 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 1:10 PM Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:

> On 5/23/22 12:00 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> >
> > On 5/23/22 11:49 AM, Aaron Wendel wrote:
> >> The Fiber Broadband Association estimates that the average US
> >> household will need more than a gig within 5 years.  Why not just jump
> >> it to a gig or more?
> >

> > Really? What is the average household doing to use up a gig worth of
> > bandwidth?

this seems like the wrong question to ask. Or at least a short-sighted
question.
One question to ask is:
  "If I have to upgrade from X to 1gbps for my infrastructure over the next
5 years, what's the outlay in capex/opex?"

followed by:
  "What's my cost recovery plan now that I know what the bill will be?"

Some of that might be USF, some might be fees from subscribers, etc.

Being a gatekeeper to what folk can do at home seems ... not
terrific, though.

> I want decent upload speeds for offsite backups of my home NAS. But no,
> upload is usually some pitiful fraction of download. The local cable

having symmetric speeds over 20mbps certainly is nice, as a user living in
that world.