Sigh, friends don't let politicians write tech laws

Anne Mitchell amitchell at isipp.com
Fri Jul 29 21:17:43 UTC 2022

> On Jul 29, 2022, at 3:05 PM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>

> https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/4409/text?r=9&s=1
>
> the body of the proposed law:
>
> "(a) Conduct prohibited.—
>
> (1) IN GENERAL.—It shall be unlawful for an operator of an email service to use a filtering algorithm to apply a label to an email sent to an email account from a political campaign unless the owner or user of the account took action to apply such a label."
>
> where to even start with how bad this would be.
>
> thanks for the heads up from Anne Mitchell

You're welcome, and..yeah.  For our article explaining it in plain English, and also saying exactly what to do to defeat it (really hoping to see the sponsors and committee chairs (it's already in committee) deluged with letters in opposition), see here:

https://www.isipp.com/blog/do-you-want-political-email-to-bypass-spam-filters-and-go-directly-to-your-inbox-congress-does-heres-what-to-do/

Anne

--
Anne P. Mitchell, Attorney at Law
CEO Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Author: The Email Deliverability Handbook
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Dean Emeritus, Cyberlaw & Cybersecurity, Lincoln Law School
Prof. Emeritus, Lincoln Law School
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Counsel Emeritus, eMail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS)