Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities Re: 202207272146.AYC

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Thu Jul 28 03:29:01 UTC 2022

Hi, John:

0) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The IoT identification (IP address)
versus privacy is a rather convoluted topic. It can quickly get
distracted and diluted if we look at it by piecemeal. Allow me to go
through an overview to convey my logic.

1) It is true that a dynamic IoT identification is harder to track down
than a static one, thus providing some sense of privacy or security,
theoretically. This went well with the need for dynamic practice due to
the limited IPv4 address pool. So, this idea sank deep into most
people's mind as inherent for the Internet.

2) It turned out that there were many ways (as you eluded to) to track
down an IoT even with a dynamic address. There was a classical research
paper that outlined various techniques to do so:

https://www.ccsl.carleton.ca/paper-archive/muir-computingsurveys-09.pdf

  To save your time, I extracted part of its conclusions as below:
  "6 Concluding Remarks ... while some commercial organizations have
claimed that they can do it with 99% accuracy. … It’s meant for the 99
percent of the general public who are just at home surfing. … We note
that even if accurate IP geolocation is possible for 99% of IP
addresses, if the remaining 1% is fixed and predictable by an adversary,
and such that the adversary can place themselves within this subspace,
then they can evade geolocation 100% of the time. …"

  We do not need to check its validity quantitatively, today, because
technology has advanced a lot. However, it is probably still pretty
accurate qualitatively, judging by how successful "targeted marketing"
is, while how hard various perpetrators may be identified, not to
mention physically locating one.

3) As long as the general public embrace the Internet technologists'
promise of privacy by dynamic addressing, however, the LE (Law
Enforcement) agencies have the excuse for exercising mass surveillance
that scoops up everything possible from the Internet for offline
analysis. Big businesses have been doing the same under the same cover.
So, most people end up without privacy anyway. (Remember the news that
German Chancellor's phone call was somehow picked up by the NSA of US?
For anyone with a little imagination, it was a clear hint for the tip of
an iceberg.).

4) Static communication terminal (IoT) identification practice will
remove a significant number of entities (the 99%) from LE's monitor
operation, enabling them to focus on the 1% as well as requiring them to
submit justification for court order before doing so. The last part has
disappeared under the Internet environment. See URL below for an
example. The static IP address practice will simplify the whole game.
That is, the LEs can do their job easier, while the general public will
get the legally protected privacy back.

  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/12/08/federal-court-upholds-terrorism-conviction-mass-surveillance-case/6440325001/

Regards,

Abe (2022-07-27 23:28 EDT)