400G forwarding - how does it work?

Vasilenko Eduard vasilenko.eduard at huawei.com
Tue Jul 26 10:55:59 UTC 2022

Nope, ASIC vendors are not ARM-based for PFE. Every “stage” is a very specialized ASIC with small programmability (not so small for P4 and some latest generation ASICs).
ARM cores are for Network Processors (NP). ARM cores (with proper microcode) could emulate any “stage” of ASIC. It is the typical explanation for why NPs are more flexible than ASIC.

Stages are connected to the common internal memory where enriched packet headers are stored. The pipeline is just the order of stages to process these internal enriched headers.
The size of this internal header is the critical restriction of the ASIC, never disclosed or discussed (but people know it anyway for the most popular ASICs – it is possible to google “key buffer”).
Hint: the smallest one in the industry is 128bytes, the biggest 384bytes. It is not possible to process longer headers for one PFE pass.
Non-compressed SRv6 header could be 208bytes (+TCP/UDP +VLAN +L2 +ASIC_internal_staff). Hence, the need for compressed.

It was a big marketing announcement from one famous ASIC vendor just a few years ago that some ASIC stages are capable of dynamically sharing common big external memory (used for MAC/IP/Filters).
It may be internal memory too for small scalability, but typically it is external memory. This memory is always discussed in detail – it is needed for the operation team.

It is only about headers. The packet itself (payload) is stored in the separate memory (buffer) that is not visible for pipeline stages.

There were times when it was difficult to squeeze everything into one ASIC. Then one chip prepares an internal (enriched) header and may do some processing (some simple stages), then send this header to the next chip for other “stages” (especially the complicated lookup with external memory connected). It is the artifact now.

Ed/