HE.net and BGP Communities

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Mon Jul 25 14:23:28 UTC 2022

I do understand the reasoning behind preferring customer routes.   However
in the case where a customer of a customer also connects to you directly
via peering doesn't it make sense to prefer the direct connection?  or at
least not prefer the customer learned routes.

In our situation, we were buying transit, heavily prepended, from a
provider on a tiny circuit.   The purpose of the transit was related to
another service we were acquiring from that provider and wasn't about the
transit, but the  transit was needed for the service to work reliably.
 Unfortunately this provider was also a HE customer and so we now had all
of the HE traffic coming down this tiny link, since all of our other
transit providers and ourselves only peered with HE.

I don't remember why,  but we couldn't have the transit provider not
announce our routes toward HE, so we ended up doing the announce more
specifics everywhere else thing.   Which I hate doing on so many levels.

Thus the desire for a community to tell HE that although they learned this
route from a customer, it is not a customer route.