What's going on with AS147028?

Ben Cox ben at benjojo.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 22:48:50 UTC 2022

I run bgp.tools (with it's own route collectors, that people should
totally feed :) https://bgp.tools/kb/setup-sessions ) but I feel like
I can add some insight here to what I think is happening with
AS147028.

I've had multiple issues with networks feeding me that also are on
LL-IX (https://www.peeringdb.com/ix/2343) or LL-HOST (Maybe? AS59947).

It appears (based on my discussions with a few of the offending
networks) that LL-IX or LL-HOST strips their own ASN (59947) from the
path when you take up a transit or maybe (i'm not sure) peer on their
route servers on LL-IX

When you combine this and exporting to projects like RouteViews/RIPE
RIS/bgp.tools, you get a peer graph that looks like the feeder ASN is
peering with... almost everyone who AS59947 peers with.

This has become so much of a problem (as I am slightly mad for getting
this kind of data right) that bgp.tools disallows sessions to be setup
if it looks like the AS either is upstreamed by AS59947 or has a port
with LL-IX, (with a message to email me)

The users who do email me, about 50% of them commit to adding the
AS59947 ASN back on, and I enable their ability to export to
bgp.tools.

Hope this clears things up! This exact AS has been the cause of many
frustrations for me for a while now!