25G SFP28 capable of rate-adaption down to 1G?

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jan 31 18:42:48 UTC 2022

Hi Bill,

I did that a few months ago with SFP+. Purchased few with copper (different vendors), few with fiber (from Solid Optics, they provide a very nice USB interface to configure them if needed), and used them at different speeds, depending on the equipment on both sides.

The copper ones also work at 2.5 and 5 Gbit/s,  not sure

For example, an old 1 Gbit/s SFP-only switch works fine connecting it to a newer switch that has SFP+ (10 Gbit/s). Of course, the speed goes down to 1 Gbit/s only. In this specific case, just for fun, I tried both copper and optical, and both worked.

Some DAC and AOC also work the same as I know.

Note that it may depend on the specific vendor/model, and some of them you may need to "program" them to support multispeed or a fixed speed.

SFP28 is just an enhanced SFP+, an in fact SFP28 work in SFP+ interfaces. So it should be the same, as the electrical signals are the same.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet