What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 27 07:51:17 UTC 2022

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 at 09:44, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> What I do agree with is that the loss of control of operating your
> network yourself does present a risk. But that is a personal position,

Yes. Few comparisons are obviously and exclusively better or worse. It
is attractive to think of them as such, because it removes a lot of
uncertainty and complexity in decision making. Because going 'it
depends', is often highly uncomfortable to people, as then you have to
understand much more deeply what you are doing and we generally don't
like doing the work needed.

> As I've said many times before, classic telco is no longer a model the
> way it used to be, and I hope that rather than fight content the way
> we've been doing for the past 20 years - and failing dismally - we can
> use this opportunity to actually work together and stay relevant, FWIW.

My rule of thumb is, if you do it, sell it. If you're not going to
sell it, buy it. Be it email, compute, data centre. If you're going to
bother with your own compute infra, you should be selling cloud to
capitalise those investments.

--
  ++ytti