What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Jan 26 01:44:05 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 16:11, Josh Luthman wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Use the 12 foot ladder to get over the 10 foot paywall:
>
> https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.economist.com%2Fbusiness%2Fwill-the-cloud-business-eat-the-5g-telecoms-industry%2F21806999

Hehe, thanks :-).

So yeah, it sort of mirrors my thinking... there is certainly some ways
to go for AWS (and Google, and Microsoft) to catch up with the
establishment. However, as we've seen in the past, these things happen
quickly, and legacy always seems to get taken by surprise.

The question is whether telco has learned from its past mistakes, of
doing whatever it can to keep content out by either delivering its own
"inferior" app alternatives, or attempting to block content from riding
the network.

Things could have been different for telco if we didn't try to rent-seek
from content 20+ years ago, which forced them to build out on their own
and run networks even larger than telco could ever dream of.

Will telco hold on tightly to their edge gear and spectrum, while
content tries to take the EPC core, or will they, for once, have a
meeting of the minds?

The next half-decade should fun to watch.

Mark.