What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Jan 25 14:22:04 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 16:14, Ca By wrote:

> I would say its all actually billions of $$ in spectrum and patent
> fees… hardware parts are a rounding error.

Yes, the majority of the cost is in bidding and competing for spectrum.
It's a whole song & dance.

But also, depending on just how much of a cash-cow the business is,
physically building out the network is nothing to scoff at either.

> The more interesting story is at&t
>
> 1. Tell everyone you are build an open source core network on
> openstack (lol)
>
> 2. Build it, put it into prod, then disown it into the linux foundation
>
> 3. Admit you built an albatross , then pay Azure to take it off your
> hands, and thus losing any control of your network.

:-).

Wouldn't be the first time this has happened before, except back then,
it was all hardware, and not virtualization.

Ah, the telco - we are good and walking over our own steps, just with
bigger or smaller shoes, than before.

Mark.