What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Jan 25 14:02:07 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 15:45, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> As is stated in free part of the article that:
>
>     The country’s three biggest carriers, AT&T, Verizon and
>     T-Mobile, have offered 5G connectivity but in practice
>     this differed little from the earlier 4G.
>
> 5G is nothing. That's all.

Considering the relatively decent performance of 4G/LTE, especially as
fibre + wi-fi is more rife, particularly in the dense metropolitan areas
that would be fibre-rich, with folk offloading a lot more of their
traffic to wi-fi in lieu of GSM, I am still struggling to see the 5G
use-case, outside of implementing 3GPP specs. for their own sake.

By one operator offering 5G, all other operators are forced to offer 5G.
So they all end up spending billions to remain in the same place.

Ah well...

As far as AWS 5G goes, they don't have to be locked into just 5G.
De-risking the back-end for non-traditional greenfields would allow them
to even support GPRS if it made sense. It's all software and CPU.

Mark.