Operator survey: Incrementally deployable secure Internet routing

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Sat Jan 22 01:23:22 UTC 2022

On 1/21/2022 12:07 PM, Yixin Sun wrote:

> We appreciate that your time is very precious, but we wanted to ask
> you for your help in answering a brief survey about a new secure
> routing system we have developed in a research collaboration between
> ETH, Princeton University, and University of Virginia. We'd like to
> thank those of you who have already helped us fill out the survey and
> provided insightful feedback. Your input is critical for helping
> inform our further work on this project.
>
> Here is the link to our survey, which takes about 10 minutes to
> complete, including watching a brief 3-minute introductory video:
> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4VCkqd7i88y0CbJ31B7tVXyxBlhEy_zsYZByx6tsKAE7ROg/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.549791324=NANOG+mailing+list
> <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4VCkqd7i88y0CbJ31B7tVXyxBlhEy_zsYZByx6tsKAE7ROg/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.549791324=NANOG+mailing+list>
>
> Our architecture, called Secure Backbone AS (SBAS), allows clients to
> benefit from emerging secure routing deployments like SCION by
> tunneling into a secure infrastructure. SBAS provides substantial
> routing security improvements when retrofitted to the current
> Internet. It also provides benefits even to non-participating networks
> and endpoints when communicating with an SBAS-protected entity.
>
> We currently have a functional prototype of this network using
> SCIONLab (for the secure backbone) and the PEERING testbed (to make
> outbound BGP announcements). Our ultimate aim is to develop and deploy
> SBAS beyond an experimental scope, and the input of network operators
> that would actually have to run these PoPs would greatly benefit this
> project and help make secure routing a reality.

This all looks like a network made for surveilling the planet's citizens
more easily.  Even in the FAQs!

"Do you use countries as ISDs? Doesn't that create opportunities for
government intervention and censorship?

We're currently looking into the best way to partition the Internet into
ISDs, so using countries as ISDs is only one possible option. Countries
have the advantage of providing a uniform legal environment, allowing
misbehavior in an ISD to be handled according to the legal framework of
that ISD."

I guess each country's government will define 'misbehavior' and will
have a more easy way to find the misbehaving entity?  Will each ISD (ISD
= Isolation Domain) have it's own DNS?  What will you do about space?
The moon?  (That one's coming sooner that folks might expect:
https://www.nokia.com/networks/insights/network-on-the-moon)  Just say
no to internet partitioning.

scott