What do you think about this airline vs 5G brouhaha?

Dennis Glatting dg at pki2.com
Thu Jan 20 01:39:18 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-01-19 at 16:37 -0500, Scott McGrath wrote:
> I’m guessing you are not a pilot,  one reason aviation is resistant to
> change is its history is written in blood,    Unlike tech aviation is
> incremental change and painstaking testing and documentation of that
> testing.

True. True. And true. However, as a pilot you should recognize that many
of the protocols used in aviation (e.g., ADS-B and ACARS) are NOT secure
by any stretch of the imagination [1]. In fact, the CRC used to secure
ACARS messages is initialized with zero - it's in the spec.

It is simple to find spoofing code to program a SDR on the Internet to
confuse aviation systems. Additionally, some of the code and systems
used in  aviation cannot be maintained (e.g., [2]) - because the
original developers have died and no one knows how the code works or the
programming languages. The versions of OpenSSL used to secure some
aviation communications dates back to 2008.

I worked in certification. Certification's goal is to *pass
certification and ship aircraft*. Certification's goal is NOT to
strongly test systems and look for weaknesses outside of certification.
In aviation parlance, strong testing is called "engineering testing."
Engineering testing is considered a cost center. When one of the
relatively newer commercial jests shipped, cost centers were downsized
across the aviation lines.

Whereas one can argue standards are written in blood and go through
strong processes, the practical result is people are flying under the
perceived safety of 50 year old standards and systems. These standards
are also highly politically influenced, which should make no one
comfortable.

[1]
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251709004_Security_analysis_of_the_ADS-B_implementation_in_the_next_generation_air_transportation_system

[2]