SOHO IPv6 switches

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Jan 20 02:23:08 UTC 2022

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022, Brandon Martin wrote:
> The Netgear GS108T is my typical go-to "not a dumb switch".  8 ports for
> about $80.
>
> Make sure you get the v3 if you want most of the modern IPv6 L2 features (you
> also get some very limited L3 capabilities).  The v2 lacks most of them and
> is still readily available on the market.

Thank you for the SOHO switch recommendation.  Ordered the netgear
GS108Tv3, next-day delivery, and installed it this evening.  The IGMP/MLD
snooping did its job keeping the excess multicast traffic off the ports
with legacy IP gear. The netgear also supports ether.type filters, but I
didn't need to use those filters. Filtering the multicast was enough, to
keep the port congestion below the legacy 10Mbps (which seemed to be
closer to 1 Mbps) breaking point.

My newest IPv4 and IPv6 gear is happy.  My ancient stuff is happy.

And most importantly, I didn't need to spend enterprise-grade bucks or
play ebay gear roulette.