What do you think about this airline vs 5G brouhaha?

Scott McGrath smcgrath at starry.com
Wed Jan 19 21:37:59 UTC 2022

I’m guessing you are not a pilot,  one reason aviation is resistant to
change is its history is written in blood,    Unlike tech aviation is
incremental change and painstaking testing and documentation of that
testing.

When that does not happen we get stuff like the 737 Max debacle

Aviation is the antithesis of ‘Move fast and break things mentality’ for a
very good reason safety.

On my flying club’s plane every replacement part comes with a pedigree
which is added to the plane’s maintenance log upon installation and the
reason for removing the old one recorded

Imagine how much easier our networks would be to maintain if we had records
down to the last cable tie in the data center.   If there was a bug in a
SFP+ for instance all of them, when they were installed and by who and what
supplier they came from was readily available sure would make my life
easier.

The reasoning behind that massive pile of documents (pilot joke ‘a plane is
not ready to fly until the weight of the paperwork equals the weight of the
airplane’) is that if a failure is traced to a component all of them can be
traced and removed from service.

On a Airbus for instance all the takeoff and landing safety systems are
tied to the RadAlt.  The EU has strict rules about where the c-band can be
used as does Japan both use the 120 second rule c-band devices not allowed
in areas where the the aircraft is in its beginning/ending 2 minutes of
flight.

So the REST of the world got c-band right the US not so much