home router battery backup

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Tue Jan 18 21:17:56 UTC 2022

Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 1/18/22 18:15, Joe Maimon wrote:
>

>> Now how about some programming available so you can decide what
>> thresholds and conditions remote start your genny which powers the
>> rectifier which substitutes|augments the solar array?
>
> Any half decent battery inverters will be able to adequately support
> this, out the box.
>
> Mark.

The inverter in question is the one being utilized in conjunction with
the powerwall, ats, solar array. All nicely done and reliable and wired
in already and with proper capacity.

Being able to call for and get more DC power on demand would make this a
true uninterruptible solution.

Running a gen to support the battery means the gen size does not need to
correlate at all with the peaks and surges of demand and can run at
maximum efficiency and we can avoid unbalanced leg problems and other
voltage variation issues that can happen with portable gens.

Programming comes into play for automated monthly testing, capacity
prediction, even spot costing of utility power. Between the grid, the
solar array, time of day, season, weather, battery level, generator
input, load characteristics, outage duration, grid costs/stresses there
can be a lot of factors that might need a bit more balancing and
programming than you might typically expect available from any half
decent battery inverter, but might find a nice place in a truly fully
integrated home UPS solution.

Integrate it enough and perhaps the gen/rectifier components would even
fit into typical residential facilities spaces and this sort of setup
could be all the more typical and standard.

Joe