Long hops on international paths

PAUL R BARFORD pb at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 17 22:31:18 UTC 2022

Dear Pengxiong,

Thanks for your questions:

  1.  We are using CAIDA’s Internet Topology Data Kit (ITDK) that uses the MIDAR alias resolution method to infer IP addresses assigned to the same router.
  2.  We understand the concerns about IP geolocation.  Interfaces of the router in question are assigned similar domain names e.g., “chi-b2-link.ip.twelve99.net” (62.115.50.61). We also used CAIDA’s ITDK, which provides geolocation information, and indicates that this router is located in Chicago.  We cross-reference with Maxmind where possible.  In this particular case, there is the telltale in the use of "chi" in the domain name.
  3.

Hope that helps.

Regards, PB