Long hops on international paths

PAUL R BARFORD pb at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 17 19:00:30 UTC 2022

Hello Nick,

I've added my collaborators to this reply - Esteban can comment on your observation re. Telia.

TTL is​ decremented on the paths we're analyzing.  What we're curious about is why we're seeing a concentration of hops at a small number of routers that appear on international paths.  I expected that when we looked at paths between e.g., US-Asia, US-Europe, US-South America (considering measurements from Ark nodes doing traceroutes to/from those locations), we would see the first instances of routers located the US along the west coast, east coast and south coast respectively. We did not expect to see Chicago as a first hop location in the US and are wondering e.g., if large providers do this to simplify their operations.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Any further thoughts are appreciated.

Regards, PB