SRv6 Capable NOS and Devices

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 07:57:12 UTC 2022

On Mon Jan 17, 2022 at 09:25:47AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> High-end IP routing features (which includes MPLS) have always attracted
> additional costs on what are meant to be Layer 2/3 switches.

Isn't the argument here that if it's in most chip sets already it might
reasonably be expected to be a standard low end feature by now, along
with IPv6?

That it isn't may be why people are open to SRv6 (I'm assuming some are
based on this discussion) - if they have to pay extra they only want to
do so where they are generating revenue from it, the end points.

Complexity and architectural cleanliness are not a consideration, if a
vendor makes a box that does the job at the right price there is a high
risk people will buy it.

brandon