SRv6 Capable NOS and Devices

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sat Jan 15 19:47:46 UTC 2022

On 1/15/22 19:22, Colton Conor wrote:

> True, but in general MPLS is more costly. It's available on limited
> devices, from limited vendors. Infact, many of these vendors, like
> Extreme, charge you if you want to enable MPLS features on a box.

Well, I don't entirely agree.

Pretty much all chips shipping now, either custom or merchant silicon,
will support MPLS. Whether the vendor chooses to implement it in code or
not is a whole other matter.

If you need MPLS, chances are you can afford it. If you don't, then you
don't have to worry about it.

For Extreme, are you referring to before or after they picked up Brocade?

There is MPLS available in a number of cheap software suites. Even
Mikrotik provides MPLS support. Whether it works or not, I can't tell you.

VyOS supports is too. Whether it works or not, I can't tell you.

But I think we are long past the days of "MPLS is expensive".

Mark.