home router battery backup

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Jan 13 22:06:39 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 3:11 PM, Scott T Anderson via NANOG wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanks very much for all the responses throughout the day. They are
> very helpful. Your (collective) answers triggered a couple follow-on
> questions:
>
> For those individuals with backup battery power for their
> modem/router, do they maintain Internet access throughout a power
> outage (as long as their backup power solution works)? I.e., does the
> rest of the ISP network maintain service throughout a power outage?

For my ISP, they maintain backup power for both DSL and POTS. I suspect
that for a lot of DSL that would hold true because it's relatively easy
for them to power since they already have the battery backup
requirements for POTS. The setup they have here is a DSLAM and SIP->POTS
termination in a pedestal with fiber backhaul. They use the old copper
that used to go back to the CO to power the pedestal.

Mike