home router battery backup

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 13 17:38:40 UTC 2022

> On Jan 13, 2022, at 12:28 PM, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:
>
> Once upon a time, Brandon Martin <lists.nanog at monmotha.net> said:
>> AT&T and Comcast don't seem to provide battery by default if you buy
>> voice service from them.
>
> The only major power outage I've experienced at my house (I've been here
> over 20 years) was the May 2011 tornado outbreak, when TVA lost hundreds
> of distribution towers, and my local utility lost all feeds.  At the
> time, I had AT&T POTS, Comcast cable/Internet, and T-Mobile cell.

You are lucky.  In my areas we have many power outages and in my ~20 years in my current house, we have had several outages that went past 3 days in various weather (spring, summer, fall, winter)

Not only were we impacted by the NE blackout, but just in the short time I’ve had a generator it’s run around 0.5% of the time due to grid outage, with the prior year we had 7 different outages.

I also don’t believe the reporting is accurate from this source I’m doing a quick SWAG of, I think it’s been longer.  It’s so bad I monitor the grid voltage and have it in influxdb+grafana dashboard

(I recommend iotawatt if you want a neat device)

- Jared