home router battery backup

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jan 13 15:22:50 UTC 2022

On 1/13/22 17:15, Andy Ringsmuth wrote:

> The power company said the rotating outages would be 30-45 minutes,
> which I do have UPS capacity to handle. But the rotating outage went
> close to 2 hours, exhausting my UPS capacity and getting to the point
> where I was more concerned about the temperature in the building.

Having had extensive experience with load shedding growing up this side
of the world (sadly), the outage period announced by the power company
may or may not include the time required to re-energize the affected areas.

So when they say 30 - 45 minutes, you should ask them if that includes
or excludes the time allowance for re-energizing.

In South Africa, load shedding can be announced as 2hrs or 4hrs.
However, the schedule will be printed as 2.5hrs or 4.5hrs, with those
extra 30 minutes added to allow for engineers to re-energize neighborhoods.

Also, transformers and distribution switching gear is not designed to be
operated in an on/off fashion. So things can go wrong when neighborhoods
are re-energized, e.g., trips from downstream customer surge overloads,
downstream transformers that trip and cascade, e.t.c.

Mark.