home router battery backup

Scott T Anderson standerson4 at wisc.edu
Wed Jan 12 23:11:24 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all the responses throughout the day. They are very helpful. Your (collective) answers triggered a couple follow-on questions:

For those individuals with backup battery power for their modem/router, do they maintain Internet access throughout a power outage (as long as their backup power solution works)? I.e., does the rest of the ISP network maintain service throughout a power outage?

Are the modems with backup power designed to operate for a specified period of time without power and if so, for how long and how was that duration identified?
If those with backup power do maintain Internet access during a power outage, do they lose that access if the power outage extends beyond a certain time? I.e., does the ISP network equipment go offline at some point in time due to batteries being drained and not having power generation capabilities?

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!
Scott