home router battery backup

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jan 13 05:49:34 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 20:37, Aaron C. de Bruyn via NANOG wrote:

> Same.  My home office has 3 Cyberpower 2500 VA double-conversion UPS
> units backed by Champion transfer switches.  Power goes out, and ~45
> seconds later I'm running on generator power.
> My local ISP runs out of power well before I do. Thankfully there's
> Starlink.
>
> Short of an asteroid hitting my office, it's highly unlikely I'll ever
> be offline. ;)

I'm also fortunate to have whole-home backup (as well as self-generation
with PV), especially in a country that is currently struggling with
sustaining energy delivery in recent years.

A number of folk, here in South Africa, have been investing in, at the
very least, so-called Micro UPS', that are small and cheap enough to
drive a GPON ONU + wi-fi router, via DC.

https://www.takealot.com/ultralan-micro-ups-dc-poe-45w-8-8ah/PLID70728025

Mark.