home router battery backup

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jan 13 05:24:01 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 23:01, Sabri Berisha wrote:

> Same here. A small UPS that will keep my modem, router, and POE for APs alive for
> the time I need to run outside and hook up my generator when PG&E decides to cut
> the power again. A bigger UPS for the small 19" rack that hosts some stuff.
>
> Top Gear Top Tip: I also have a UPS on my garage door opener. That saves the
> misses from dealing with manually opening/closing the garage door if I'm not
> at home.

Here in South Africa, motorized garage doors come standard with a
12-volt battery. The problem is most home owners don't realize that they
need to be replaced every 2 - 3 years :-). So there are many homes out
there which have had dead batteries for more than 20 years, and folk
just accept that the manual handle comes down when the power is out.

That is, until you remind them to replace the battery.

Mark.