home router battery backup

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jan 13 05:21:32 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 21:41, Michael Thomas wrote:

> We just installed a battery too, but it will probably only last ~1 day
> and much less than that in winter. We're in the process of looking at
> a generator that interfaces directly with the inverter so that it
> handles the grid, the battery, the solar and the generator along with
> the transfer switch.

Or maybe the other way around - perhaps you should be looking for an
inverter that handles all power sources... battery, utility and
generator, so you don't have to worry about managing the transfer.

The inverter makes the choice on what power source to use to form its
local grid, and only calls in the generator to recharge the batteries on
poor weather days.

I run my inverter in "off-grid" mode, and we use the utility grid as a
generator, meaning our primary power sources are solar and battery (no
generator here - I have enough battery and PV to last 1.5 days on a
single charge). The benefit of running it in off-grid mode is that
transfer from grid failure to battery is 0ms - 20ms, depending on how
the failure occurred. Both are indistinguishable for home appliances.

Mark.