Useful ping targets for end-users?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jan 13 05:04:40 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 17:58, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Back in the old days, when there was competition between ISPs, the
> ISPs you paid money used to have curated speed test targets on their
> networks. Because you were paying them, some people wanted evidence
> they were getting what they were paying for, that was the only one
> under their control when you didn't get what you were paying.

We ran speedtest.net servers for about 4 years, and then retired them.

They outlived their usefuless as the minimum bandwidth made available to
customers started to test the limits both of the servers and the
customer's own gear.

It took another 3 years for both customers and internal teams to get
onboard with "no more speedtest.net here", but finally, seems the ship
has turned.

Mark.