home router battery backup

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jan 13 04:57:05 UTC 2022

It appears that Shawn L via NANOG <shawnl at up.net> said:
>In $dayjob I work for a telco that deploys fiber to the home.  If we are
> providing voice services over fiber a battery backup is installed (we main
>tain) that powers the customer's phone in the event of a power outage.

I have fiber service from my local RLEC.  The modem comes with a 12V battery
UPS which looks big enough to keep the phone and internet on for several days.

But as you say, it's the modem, not the router.  If the power went out
and the UPS I have for my other equipment ran down, which would take about
half an hour, I suppose I could run an ethernet cable from my laptop to
the modem.

R's,
John